Burning Coal Theatre Company's first ever North Carolina festival of Devised Theatre, PoliTheatrics 2012, begins tonight with performances by Haymaker of Durham and Urban Garden of Raleigh. Performance begins at 7:30 pm.
Urban Garden of Raleigh, NC will present a new performance piece, Mark Twain's Joan of Arc, devised by the company and featuring live music and original songs by the band, Bevel Summers. Urban Garden is dedicated to cross-pollinating arts audiences and practitioners. Since 2004 Urban Garden has produced 12 original live arts events in Indianapolis, IN, London, UK and Raleigh, NC.
Haymaker of Durham, NC will present WHAT'S THAT COST?: THE FEDERAL BUDGET AND YOU. Haymaker produces original work by collaging found texts and personal experiences. LIVING WITH THE TIGER (October 2011) marked Haymaker's premiere production in Durham, and was written and performed by its three principal artists, Akiva Fox, Emily Hill, and Dan VanHoozer.
The rest of this weekend's PoliTheatrics schedule is as follows:
- Friday at 7:30 pm – Awkward Elephant (Pittsburgh) and Haymaker (Durham)
- Saturday at 4 pm – Haymaker (Durham) and Urban Garden (Raleigh)
- Saturday at 7:30 pm – Awkward Elephant and TBA
- Sunday at 4 pm – Machine Theatre (Charlotte) and Haymaker (Durham)
- Sunday at 7:30 pm – Awkward Elephant (Pittsburgh) and Urban Garden (Durham)
Tickets will be available at the door for $5 up until 7:30 pm sharp. For further information please call 919-834-4001 or visit our website at www.burningcoal.org.